Well, it’s that time of the year. You look back at the year and think wow what a great year or mehhh…or even BYE FELICIA! I am somewhere in the middle of ALL of these. If you have been following along with team Johnston you know this year was filled with adventure…serious adventure. If you think about it Dana and I have been living in Ohio for the past 8 years, in our house, enjoying life, in our own little comfort zone. Me I love a routine so 99.9% of the time you can find me doing the same exact routine. THEN BOOOOMMMMM that ALL changed!
As Many of you know in October 2016 we found out Dana’s company was being relocated to Georgia. We had a big decision to make! We were so very fortunate as we got to visit GA a few times to be sure this was the right move for us. We decided to do it, make it happen. This meant a LOT of change.
I had to stop my usual routine, and embrace a life of adventure and consistent change. Quit a job I really enjoyed…yes it had it’s ups and downs but I worked with some pretty great students and had some pretty amazing co-workers/mentors. I had to say goodbye to my Edge family (spin studio), which I still get a little teary eyed thinking about on Fridays (I would go ever Friday am, even had my own bike…well it was mine in my eyes 😉 ) , Had to embrace so much unknown.
Dana didn’t have to quit a job, but he too had to embrace change. Moving into a new work location, with some unknowns as to which co-workers would be joining him and what the future looked like.
I could go by step by step about everything we have been through, but I am sure everyone knows. I will break it down by the ups and the downs =) Here are some of the downs or our “transition”
- Sending our furbabies to WI for the summer, yes we know they were well taken care of, but they are our family!!! However we know there was no way we could have sold the house with them in it. Also we knew it would be stressful on them to be in our home while it was being shown.
- Selling our house! We loved that place and some of our dear neighbors. We built that that house right after we got married! Tons of memories were made there.
- Picking out our essential belongings. I mean come on what exactly will you need for at the time would be 2-3 months (yes…yes more like 4-6 months).
- Quitting my job! I was so very scared to be jobless. I kind of felt like a loser, having to say goodbye to a job I liked…wasn’t leaving on any bad terms, but leaving as we had to move. This was dang stressful, more stressful than I really let anyone know!
- Embracing the unknown…as I have said before I love a routine. Well that wasn’t happening with the whole you don’t have a job, now you have a job, you have a place to live, now you have to move….yep no routine and once I got into one well that was changing.
- The hurricane! YEP as soon as we moved to GA there was a dang hurricane that came through. We had no idea what to expect! Oh yea… this was the first week we were in GA!
- Our house taking longer than expected. Remember that whole Oct. 31st closing date…yea me too…oh we still aren’t in our home!
- With the house taking longer than expected, we had to move to a new temporary living location.
- The temporary living location being an air bnb that might also have other bookings, so having to decide on the spot if we need to extend our stay when these bookings come in.
- Oh that temporary living location, well they are also trying to sell that house. So now we are dealing with some showings (3 so far), yea that has been fun).
- 8+ inches of SNOW. Yes we moved to GA, and had a freak snowstorm come through. This caused us to be without electricity or heat for 1 1/2 days…oh and we couldn’t go anywhere due to the ice and trees that were down.
- Job interviews for me. Seriously when you work somewhere for 8 years, you are in your comfort zone Now you need to make yourself look nice, and try to sell yourself. This took a whole lot of guts and grit……not the easiest of times for sure.
All right I think I have talked enough about all the bad. Let’s talk about all the good from this adventure! The ups of 2017…
- In between the Ohio and Georgia adventure we got to spend 1+ weeks in WI, enjoying life at the cottage. PLUS DANA’S FAMILY CAME!!
- I have learned more and more to embrace change. God is in control as much as I may try and control things.
- We got those fubabies BACK! YAYYEAAYYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!
- I had the opportunity to be without a job for 2+ months, I was able to explore GA, have late afternoon runs, and just enjoy life (well kinda, I was always kind of stressed about the whole not having a job thing).
- I GOT A JOB! Seriously so happy about this. I love love LOVE Reinhardt!!! I can’t say that enough. I wish I could find the words to describe the staff and students, for now I will just say AMAZING!
- We have had the opportunity to build our dream home. I seriously can’t wait to live there, it really is turning out way better than I expected.
- I found a place to get my hair down…I mean if you know me, you know this is a big deal =)
I think this year has been by FAR the most challenging! It has tested us, BUT has brought me even closer to my amazing husband as I know we can tackle anything together.
I have learned so much more about myself this year and really what I am capable of. I have also learned that change isn’t too bad. Also I mean when the Johnston’s make a change they do it up RIGHT… quit a job, sell a house, move, build a house, find a new job, move temporary locations…….aren’t those the top life changes =)
2018 I am so ready for you! I can’t WAIT to see what you bring us… I have a feeling it’s going to be amazing.
Happy New Year y’all!